katewritesandreads

katewritesandreads

Wednesday 9 September 2015

Please Release Me


Today I’m involved in a blog splash on the theme of being stuck.


1. The thing I’m stuck on now…

I’ve got my head stuck in the dictionary (not on … that would be weird). ‘To stick’, of which ‘stuck’ is the past tense, has many meanings, eg to pierce, transfix, to stab, to spear, to thrust, to cause to adhere, to fix with an adhesive, to bring to a standstill, to endure.

'Stuck' can also be used in a romantic sense –

She’s stuck on him. He's stuck on me. I'm stuck on … – well, there's a whole novel right there.


2. If I could be stuck anywhere (with anyone)…

What a difference an emphasis on a particular word makes … I’m stuck with you, I’m stuck with you. However, if I could be stuck with anyone, anywhere – I’d be with a literary agent in her/his office, being given some good news. Some very very good news.

3. Stickers

‘Pot stickers’ are Chinese dumplings. I was lucky enough when I was in China in 2011 to visit a private home; our hostess made dumplings filled with fresh green vegetables and served with a very garlicky dipping sauce. Although I’d just eaten a huge lunch I managed to pack away a goodly number of these scrumptious dumplings, remembering my dad’s inelegant but hospitable advice to those at his dinner table – ‘stick in till you stick out’.


All the characters in Please Release Me by Rhoda Baxter are stuck in some way:



What if you could only watch as your bright future slipped away from you?
Sally Cummings has had it tougher than most but, if nothing else, it’s taught her to grab opportunity with both hands. And, when she stands looking into the eyes of her new husband Peter on her perfect wedding day, it seems her life is finally on the up.
That is until the car crash that puts her in a coma and throws her entire future into question.
In the following months, a small part of Sally’s consciousness begins to return, allowing her to listen in on the world around her – although she has no way to communicate.
But Sally was never going to let a little thing like a coma get in the way of her happily ever after …

Find out more about Rhoda here

Please Release Me is published today, 10 September 2015, by Choc Lit. To buy the book:
http://mybook.to/PleaseReleaseMe

What are you waiting for? Get stuck in!


2 comments:

  1. Loved your post, Kate. The Chinese dumplings sound delicious - and I'll remember your dad's words of advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Helena! It was an interesting exercise, brainstorming 'stuck'.

    ReplyDelete