katewritesandreads

katewritesandreads

Wednesday 8 March 2023

Nine in February

 I read nine books in February.

 


Deception by Helen Forbes

This was indeed the ‘compelling’ read promised in the blurb – heightened for me because I know the locations in Edinburgh very well. Who knows what lurks behind those doors?

It was an unsettling read, taking in a host of social problems ... and with an unexpected (or maybe not?) villain. My heart was in my mouth almost the whole time I was reading as I followed Lily in her attempts to change her life and keep her little boy safe.

Terrifically atmospheric writing and a great cast of characters.

 


Murder at Snowfall by Fleur Hitchcock

More murder – but this time off-stage and written for a 10+ age group. This is a children’s mystery twenty-first-century style and I loved it: the Famous Five had their excitements but finding a body in a suitcase wasn’t one of them. A satisfying plot and I liked the developing relationship between the two step-siblings.

 

And more murder. You can’t go wrong with ‘a Vera’ – or two.

 



 

And another murder, a cold case this time, the first of five books I read while on holiday.

 


Stay Buried by Kate Webb

I’ve enjoyed Katherine Webb’s historical books, especially her first one The Legacy. She has a new author name for her first foray into crime.

Detective Inspector Matt Lockyear reopens the case he was involved in fourteen years earlier which sent a woman, Hedy Lambert, to prison. At the same time he is making ongoing investigations into the murder of his own brother.

A very good read which does finish in an ends-tied-up way but there’s also a bit of a cliff-hanger ... The follow-up is due this autumn I believe.

 


Closing In by E. D. Thompson

A psychological thriller this time. Caroline has a nice life, personally and professionally, until someone turns up – someone she’d rather forget and with whom she shares a secret past. That secret is a difficult one, bravely tackled.  

 

Then I caught up on more of my Kindle ‘pile’, three from Amazon Prime’s First Reads.

 


Three More Months by Sarah Echavarre

Over-wrought, and repetitiously written, but I was totally on board with the (impossible) premise.

 


Five Winters by Kitty Johnson

Liked the structure of catching up with the characters every December for five years but didn’t find the characters very convincing.

 


Good for You by Camille Pagán

My favourite of the First Reads as I’m a sucker for American beach houses; the one here is on Lake Michigan and has been half-inherited by Aly from her adored brother Luke – half, because she has to share ownership with Wyatt, Luke’s best friend whom Aly disliked first time they met. You can guess the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment