katewritesandreads

katewritesandreads

Monday 29 June 2020

Bike-ride reading


We acquired an exercise bike at the start of lockdown and I have been on it every day since. My slot (in our household of three) is first thing in the morning – I chose that time so I would just wake up and, er, get on my bike without giving myself any chance to talk myself out of it.

I used to love cycling when I was a child but that’s once upon a time now …



After a perfunctory start, where I didn’t even check the distance, I got competitive with myself and now do between 8km and 15km every morning. On one day a week I go for a personal best, currently 25km (that’s just over 15 miles in real money, I'd have you know). No pictures, thankfully, of my perspiring red face …

While I cycle, I listen on earphones to Radio 4’s A Good Read on catch-up. There are fifty-five Internet pages of past programmes, dating back to the late 80s. If you have never heard it (the latest series is on at the moment, 4.30 on Tuesday afternoons) – a host and two guests each share a book that they’ve enjoyed, either fiction or non-fiction. There have been various hosts but the one who has made the programme her own, Harriett Gilbert, is I think, much the best.

I am whizzing through them – 25km is three programmes’ worth.

Some of the books discussed could in no way be described as ‘a good read’, in the can’t-put-down, entertaining sense of the word, but they are nevertheless interesting and informative; some guests blatantly choose titles they have contributed to in some way or have been written by a pal; and one or two (no names) were quite rude, talking loudly over the others. 

Although some guests’ choices are in some way predictable, others are surprising. I have silent arguments when a book I love is not appreciated by everyone.

So I am well distracted while turning those pedals and mopping my brow.

But now, of course, I have added to the already tottering wish list of books I would like to read, viz:

A Month in the Country  J. L. Carr
Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady  Florence King
Crooked Heart  Lissa Evan
Dirt Music  Tim Winton
Dissolution   C. J. Sansom
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes  Anita Loos
Invisible Cities  Italo Calvino
Leadville by Edward Platt
Out Stealing Horses  Per Petterson
Remembering Babylon  David Malouf
Slow Horses  Mick Herron
Love and Summer  William Trevor
The Spire  William Golding
The Wicked Chamber  Angela Carter
This is Shakespeare  Emma Smith
To Esme with Love and Squalor  J. D. Salinger
Towards the End of the Morning  Michael Frayn

What would you choose if you were asked to be on the programme?

I feel inspired to take up actual cycling when lockdown is over. 

Who knows where 25km will get me to?


4 comments:

  1. I always end up with more books on my tbr from listening to that programme, Kate. You've added to it again!
    A book I bought after listening a few years ago is Dear Miss Landau, by Scottish author James Christie. I wrote and told him how much I loved it, and we've remained friends since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant, Helena! His is an amazing story.

      Delete
  2. My mind always goes blank when I'm asked to name a favourite book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Patsy – just as well I'll never be asked on!

      Delete