I read seven books in July.
The Girls by John Bowen
I picked up this book from a bookshop table, attracted by the front cover – and then even more attracted by the back cover where a review by the Washington Post said:
‘[For] those who feel Barbara Pym-ish on some days and Stephen King-ish on others’
Barbara Pym, author of mid-20th-century novels of English life is one of my very favourite writers. I haven’t read Stephen King (have seen the film Misery …) but I get the gist.
And I would say that review is spot-on.
This is a reissue of a book first published in 1986. I like the authorial writing style and the mix of (very) black-edged comedy, crime and relationships.
Recommended.
Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer
I bought four GHs in the Christian Aid Book Sale this year.
‘Kate’ is left a penniless orphan but is swept up by her very grand Aunt Minerva who, it turns out, has a very gruesome motive for inviting her niece to live with her. If I thought I was getting a cosy Regency after the macabre-ness of The Girls I was soon disabused of that …
The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer
Because of a family quarrel, the Darracott heir is only now meeting the relatives he will be supplanting. But ‘Ajax’ is a delightful Yorkshireman who ultimately charms the whole family and saves it from disgrace.
Nightshade by Michael Connelly
A police procedural set on Santa Catalina Island, off the coast of Los Angeles. A good read – my first Michael Connelly.
Christmas at the Island Hotel by Jenny Colgan
This is the fifth in Jenny Colgan’s ‘Mure’ series and the only one I’ve read. Enjoyable cosy quick read, set on a fictional island somewhere north of Shetland. Probably won’t read the others though as reviews suggest the main characters’ back stories vary and there are other inconsistencies.
The Trad Wife by Carrie Hughes
Many millions of people follow Faith on social media as she documents her apparently perfect life on a ranch in Utah – handsome husband, five adorable children, grows lavender, makes cheese etc. Etc.
Mel, desperate to make money to support herself and her daughter, is delighted when an approach to Faith for an interview leads to an invitation to visit.
Accepting the invitation is something Mel very much comes to regret. No spoilers – but there are several heart-stopping moments before the satisfying ending.
From Peach Street to Lobster Lane by Felicity Cloake
I've read One More Croissant for the Road in which Felicity Cloake (cookery writer for The Guardian) intrepidly cycles and eats her way around France in search of the perfect croissant, giving them marks out of ten.
This is her third cycling expedition – an account of cycling across America to find out just what is American cuisine. Cycling in the land of ten-lane freeways and big weather is brave to say the least. Among much else, she discovered that, outside the cities, the global chains do not hold sway and that the ethnic mixes that make up the States have resulted in some fabulous food.
In this book, she chooses to rate pies, some savoury but mostly sweet (in fact, mostly too sweet).
I love her writing style and for taking me vicariously on her food adventures.
I’ve now acquired, but have yet to read, her second food trip, Red Sauce Brown Sauce – around Britain to discover the perfect breakfast. (I don’t yet know what her verdict is on sauces but for me it’s: pass the HP please.)







No comments:
Post a Comment